Sunday, February 26, 2012

Looking for a Miracle? Mark 6:35-44

I wonder how often by acting from our logic we have stopped ourselves short of seeing a Miracle?

Remember in the Bible the story of the Feeding of the 5000? As I was reading it the other day there was a part that really stuck out at me:

Mark 6:35-36
35 When the day was now far spent, His disciples came to Him and said, "This is a deserted place, and already the hour is late. 36 Send them away, that they may go into the surrounding country and villages and buy themselves bread; for they have nothing to eat."

As I put myself in the role of the disciples I saw that they were operating out of logic. They were in God's Presence and did go to Him, but they didn't ask Him the best way to deal with the situation. They came up with a logical approach to the need that they saw for the people to be fed and told Him what needed to be done. Had He just let it go a mighty move of God might have been missed.

Mark 6:37-44
37 But He answered and said to them, "You give them something to eat." And they said to Him, "Shall we go and buy two hundred denarii worth of bread and give them something to eat?" 38 But He said to them, "How many loaves do you have? Go and see." And when they found out they said, "Five, and two fish." 39 Then He commanded them to make them all sit down in groups on the green grass. 40 So they sat down in ranks, in hundreds and in fifties. 41 And when He had taken the five loaves and the two fish, He looked up to heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples to set before them; and the two fish He divided among them all. 42 So they all ate and were filled. 

How often do we tell God what we're going to do without asking if it's what He thinks is the best thing to do? Do we even give Him time to get a Word in?

I think not only did Jesus want to teach the disciples and us about faith but I think He also wanted to teach about the benefits of seeking Him first before we act. I think He wants us to go to Him for His advice and if we do it His way we will see our needs met and sometimes in very miraculous ways. It may not be the way our logic says it should be done, which is how we know it's a move of God.

Miracle: is defined as a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.

Do you need healing today? Do you need your bills to be paid? Do you need your spouses heart to be softened? Do you want to see a mighty move of God today?  The Lord is eager to help and has some great ideas, why not take some time to stop and seek Him for advice. He may speak in that still small Voice, or through reading His Word, a sermon at church or maybe through a trusted friend. He will speak, we just need to be quick to listen and slow to speak.

To meet your bills He may suggest that you give to meet the needs of others? If you're sick He may touch and heal you right then and there or He might say to go and serve others and before you know it the symptoms could be gone. We need to be open to His creative ways of meeting our needs. We need to be willing to step out in faith and act upon what we feel He is telling us to do.

There is a man I know who is going through some serious medical problems. He starts chemo soon. Though he is scared and dreading the treatment, he is not letting that stop him. He loves the Lord and knows God's has got his life in His hands. Instead of wallowing around in self pity, which so many of us would do, he is putting himself out there by actively serving with a joyous heart. When asked where are you finding your strength he responds by continually being in God's Word. This man radiates Jesus. He is glowing as the Spirit of the Living God is vibrantly moving through him to touch the lives of others.

Will God miraculously heal this man? I do not know. Will God provide for this man all that he needs to  go through all that he is about to face, ABSOLUTELY! Will God be glorified, YOU BET.

God has given us His Word and Godly council to check against if we have concerns about a direction we think is from Him. He will never tell you to do something that is contrary to His teaching or out of line with His character. 

Everyday we are confronted with opportunities to see God move; we just need to go to Him first, be open to His direction, thank Him for the outcome, step out in faith then open our arms and hearts to receive all that He has for us.



Matt 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.


Isa 30:21
And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.


My Prayer: Jesus, please help me to pause before I act and seek Your guidance. Help me to be open to Your creative ways of approaching the situations in my life and give me the courage to step out in faith. Forgive me for those times when I have told You how I was going to approach something and then begged You to help get me out of a poor decision. I give You today Lord and all of the things I'm about to encounter and pray that my ears and eyes would be open to experience a miracle from You. To You be all of the Glory and Honor, Amen.
















3 comments:

  1. wonderful word, Pam! I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed to re read this again today :-) I love your blog. Thanks for taking the time to write and share His truth and word of encouragement for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy- I'm so glad this ministered to you. Jesus may You encircle my beautiful sister with Your loving arms and give her a BIG HOLY HUG!! I'll do the same when I see you at His house today!! Love you tons and missed you at the conference.

    ReplyDelete