Friday, September 11, 2020


 

Why I believe there is life after death and I have no fear...

This is not a testimonial about "why I believe in Jesus" and yet I most certainly do. This is more about the proof that I have that there is another place we go to after our life on earth is done.

In 1990 my Dad was diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer, he was 64 years old. He was a Deputy VP for Lockheed Martin and was mandated to have Wellness checks and X-rays every year which he did. He started running a low grade fever and just didn't feel well. Evidently between his lungs was a Tumor the size of a grapefruit that had been growing for 20 years- but the X-rays didn't catch it. My Mom was emotionally fragile so it was up to me to tell Dad of his inoperable tumor. 

I can still see him sitting on a small chair in the backyard with the sun covering him, slumped over and looking down as he cleaned his finger nails. This man that had always been a man of pride and who was larger than life to me now looked so humble and frail and I had to go to him and tell him this horrible news. In quietness he accepted the diagnosis and began to formulate a plan to beat this Cancer.

He wanted to try whatever he could to live and radiation was his only option. I went with them to the doctors appointments and tried to keep our spirits up. I was eventually put in place to handle all of the financial decisions while looking out for my Moms well being as she watched her beloved fight the Big Fight. I was a married mother of a beautiful young teenage girl and I also worked a full time+ high stress job in the Tech world of Silicon Valley. Everything was always go, Go, GO!! 

I was definitely being stretched beyond what I thought I could handle. People would come up to me at work, who knew what I was going through, and ask how was I able to cope? All I could say was... Jesus~ I wasn't preaching it or beating people over the head with my Bible. People could just see a light in me and they knew there had to be something or Someone that was providing me the power to push through. I find it interesting that when we are at the end of ourselves, and we have nothing left to give, is when The Spirit within us can really soar. I would get up early every morning before work and cry out to Jesus for my Dad to recover and ask for the strength I needed to make it each and every day. 

When Dad was lying in the hospital room those last days the family would take turns sitting with him. He was getting sicker and sicker. One night as he and I were likely watching football we finally got into some serious conversations. I confirmed that he was a believer in Jesus and I told him that it was ok for him to stop fighting and rest in God's care. His relationship with the Lord was different than mine but he had one. He felt that the Golf Course was were he would have church on Sunday mornings. He worked 7 days a week for years and years and Sunday mornings were his respite time. I'll never forget his response to my statement of letting go- tearfully he said, "but what will happen to your Mother?" Choking back my tears I told him, "Don't worry I will take care of her!!" I reassured him that I would always make sure she had all she needed. 

A few days later we were all gathered together at the hospital waiting... I went off and called for one of the Pastors from my church to come and pray. When I went back to the room, no one but Dad was there. I quickly went to the waiting room and asked why Dad was alone? They stated that the attendants told them that it wouldn't be long now and that it was best to leave him alone. I said WHAT??!! I had heard that the hearing was the last to go. I ordered (practically) everyone to get in that room and we were going to surround him and pray. As we gathered around him we began to sing hymns while encouraging him to let go and go to Jesus. Painting the picture of Jesus standing there with outstretched arms ready to take Dad home. 

At this time Dad was past consciousness given enough Morphine to keep him "comfortable". He just laid there with labored breathing and the death rattle coming out from him. The Pastor from the church came and we all prayed together. I'm not sure if he stayed or not but the last thing I heard Dad say- without fear was- "Ok, let's go!" And he breathed his last breath.

He was definitely talking to Someone and he was ready to enter into his next life!! Whether you believe or not, I know it's true. There is another life after our death on this earth. The question is where do you want to spend yours- Heaven or Hell? I have no fear of death because, like Dad, my Jesus will be there waiting to take me home. I am of the belief that when we pass into Heaven we will not only see Jesus face to face but we will see those others who have believed and gone before us. 

I am so thankful for my relationship with Jesus these past 40 years and all of the help and strength He has given me through His Spirit. I look forward to those days of no more sorrow, no more sickness and no more pain- spending all Eternity learning whatever it is God has in store for me, would you like to say the same? None of us knows when our time on earth is up. Simply ask Jesus into your heart today and you too can have that Blessed assurance of where you will go in your next life!






These song Lyrics pretty much say it all...

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living,
Just because He lives!

And then one day, I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives!

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living,
Just because He lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment